Sunday, September 28, 2014

When Running Became My Sports


Whenever I am asked "what sports I am into?" I cannot state a single sample.  Since I was young sports was never part of my lifestyle. I was too lazy to stretch bones and get sweat, except for my first love which is dancing.  Dance sport was my first “sport” in a way. Yes! I competed for small group competitions, if I may claim:)

With regards to other sports, I’ve tried joining several tri-outs but I never got the luck to be picked. Badminton is fun, but I can only enjoy it without the rules. In volleyball, I can serve the ball and let the other team mates play the rest. Hahaha  Basketball is nice to watch but I never learned the rules.

So I really find it tough to relate when I started handling sports brand. Until running started to peak its popularity in the country. I met this sport way back 2010, when my friend is still the one handling the brand. I can still remember those times when I started to gain weight after college so I thought of doing exercise. Cardio can be very effective to lose weight because it’s a total exercise—the whole body is moving and getting sweat.

I started running 3K distance and luckily finished my first race at 34:35 minutes… see the first photo on the left hahahaJ since then, it became my personal record to break. Almost every day, I tried my best to at least have a 15 minutes exercise, continuously join 3K races, and gradually improve my pace. Losing weight was no longer my goal but to get my best PR .As I can remember my best 3K race was done in 19 minutes.

Running became part of the company’s culture (Unisell—the company where I use to work). We run twice a week at Ultra stadium and eat after… hahaha. When we started doing that weekly routine, I finally got the courage to level up and take the 5k race. See the growth? Hahaha, It took a while to finally absorb that yey! I am getting serious about this sport. I also joined several 5K distance races good thing, I always have complimentary slots on the running event that the brand is sponsoring. For the record my best 5K race was finished at 34:19minutes, almost same PR when I started these sports.

I started to get envious with my office mates whose doing 10 K race. To note this officemates are really physically fit hahaha the other one is even joining Triathlon. Hahhaha ambisyoso lang! Others are even advising me to check if I really can manage 10K distance since this is the first time, I don’t have formal training and I’m not physically fit – I’m obese (2). Hahaha

My first 10K was surprisingly easy… hahah ayabang ‘no? hehehe. 10K race distance made me realize that there is really more out there beyond the 3K and 5K stage. So I had several 10 K races and finally start dreaming about half marathon race. But I know, it’s not going to be easy. Every 10K is different, some races I had, before I knew it, finish line na pala… ‘yung iba naman halos himatayin na ako sa uhaw malayo pa pala yung aid station and I’m not even half of the track… effort! The craziest 10K race so far was the CIHM (Corregidor International Half Marathon)… to those who have tried it; I know you can relate hahhaha. CIHM was a combination of trail and road race; well something I didn’t expect… wahahah

Then I also had a chance to experience full trail run at SVTC which is also crazy. Apart from it’s a 17K race the uphill and downhill part really requires full leg strength otherwise your life could be at risk… Well putting your life at risk is common in any race, that’s why preparation is a must.
After having my 17K, finally I had the confidence to do my first ever 21K race. See the story at (http://markmyname1107.blogspot.com/2014/07/running-never-ends-finishing-half.html)

My race story is a combination of fun, hardwork, and guts. Have I not take guts to level up; I might have not experience how it is to have and to love a sport—running! To some, running is just a basic cardio exercise but for some, it became a life.

All crazy the trainings, all the pain you need to endure to finish it strong and the pain you will face the next morning, yet you need to wake up, go to work and train again. The courage to get your ass up and train even if it raining outside or its cold…

Running is simple, it not too complicated unlike other sports. There are rules but not strictly implied. Following the rules can improve you but not following it doesn’t mean you’re disqualified.

As I bid goodbye to my current job as the one in charge for the marketing of adidas body care, probably this is also my last chance to get free or complimentary race kit and surely I’ll be missing this sport --- for a while. Because, registration in races can be bit expensive hahaha..

So for the last shot! See atRun United Philippine Marathon! Nyaks!~

I’ll be missing you all guys! All the partners we had for the running event, the push girls and boys, our set up team, mga makukulit na by standers. All the runners na nakakasabay ko sa race and sa mga suki na namin sa booth. All the running photographers and bloggers I met and became friends with.

Thank you so much, and see you all in the road!

Running Never Ends!

markmyname1107.blogspot.com